Writing for the Web
Not exactly what you learned in school
Viewers of your web site will be coming to get information
- What it is you do and why you do it
- How much it costs
- Relevant information
They want to find things quickly. They scan. They will not be sitting down with a cup of coffee to read a lovely long story. It is crucial that you write in short easy to read thoughts - no flowery language. Keep superlatives to your headings and stick to facts in your paragraphs.
In school, we were taught to build to the climax. For web sites, the climax, or main point, has to be stated at the beginning with the details and lesser points to follow.
Many "experts" recommend writing like you speak and let your personality show. In today's endeavour to appear on the first page of a Google search, this may contribute to achieving that goal.
Write with purpose
- use a heading and a sub heading for each section
- one thought per paragraph
- use headings for each paragraph
- present your strongest point first
- minimize the use of acronyms and abbreviations
- minimize adjectives (great, amazing, etc.) and increase facts
- use point form as much as possible (avoid long paragraphs)
- pictures say a 1000 words - use them
- check your spelling and grammar
- re-check your spelling and grammar
I am a copywriter
by Tom Albrighton 20 February 2013
These simple blocks of text communicate so much.
For the non francophones, “le mot juste” means - just the right word.
Pictures say a thousand words
9 Photo Composition Tips
(feat. Steve McCurry)
9 photo composition tips with the help of Steve McCurry's incredible photographs. Special thanks go to Steve McCurry for his time and permission to use his photographs in this video!
Hemingway web app makes your writing bold and clear. It gives you a grade level and points out how to make your copy more readable. A MUST.
This is not only essential for improving your SEO and fun too. Excellent for making the best choice between two words. Which is searched for more: Guidance or Advice? Find out at Google Fight.